Monday, May 20, 2019

Clovis farmer in D.C. advocating for environmental guidelines after farm's water contaminated

Clovis farmer in D.C. advocating for environmental guidelines after farm's water contaminated

KAMC News
By Paige Pauroso

..."So I thought 'I need to sell my cows if I can't sell my milk' and then I went to sell my cows and they said, 'No, your cows are quarantined. You can't sell them,'" Schapp said. Schapp traveled to Washington, D.C. this week, advocating for new Environmental Protection Agency regulations to put stricter guidelines on PFA use. "We need them to set a standard so the Cannon Airforce Base has the tools to get off the property and clean up the water," Schapp said. "Right now, they just want to put drinking fountains on my property for human consumption. Well, that's not good enough because I got 4,000 animals that are polluted by this poison and I don't know what to do with them."

He said he found out shortly after that it wasn't just his water that was contaminated but his cow's milk as well. That left him with 4,000 dairy cows, but not a drop of milk he was able to sell. 
"So I thought 'I need to sell my cows if I can't sell my milk' and then I went to sell my cows and they said, 'No, your cows are quarantined. You can't sell them,'" Schapp said. 
Schapp traveled to Washington, D.C. this week, advocating for new Environmental Protection Agency regulations to put stricter guidelines on PFA use. 
"We need them to set a standard so the Cannon Airforce Base has the tools to get off the property and clean up the water," Schapp said. "Right now, they just want to put drinking fountains on my property for human consumption. Well, that's not good enough because I got 4,000 animals that are polluted by this poison and I don't know what to do with them."
He said it's not just about his livelihood, but also safety for consumers. 
"The military is saying 'Well we only want to know human consumption' but the problem is food. Food is human consumed, your meat, milk and dairy products are human consumed," Schapp said. 
He said the USDA might help him with what to do with his cows. But if he can't get help, he will be forced to euthanize all 4,000 cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment